Clear Language for all public communication in Burnaby endorsed by Burnaby Inter Agency Council (BIAC)
Clear Language – For many people, (42% of Canadian Adults) low levels of literacy may keep them from fully participating in society. Use of Clear Language (also known as Plain Language) can help you ensure the majority are included and able to fully understand your message.
Clear language is an approach to communication that:
- puts the reader first
- focuses on action
Why use Clear Language? Clear language means no one is excluded.
It is fair, open and inclusive and can reach people who don’t read well.
A clear language document lets people;
- Find what they need to know
- Understand what they find
How does clear language help? – Saves time, money, and resources,
because it gets the job done the first time
- Reaches people who don’t read well
- Helps all readers understand information
- Avoids misunderstandings and errors
- Act on what they find out
What does Clear Language look like? It usually consists of;
- Short sentences with one point
- Simple graphics that are easy to understand
- Uses headings, sub-headings and bullets
- Some bold type to highlight important points
- Essential information with lots of white space
Alpha Plus: Tech Tuesday Archived Webinars: These webinars focus on sharing information and resources about new and promising technology and on how to integrate these tools into practice.